Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The SECOND Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is definitely worth seeing. I liked it almost as much as the first film. My loyal reader Olga thought she liked it even better than the first one!


Like the first film, it follows the lives of British retirees looking for a less expensive (and more interesting) place to spend their twilight years. This one continues with Sonny (Dev Patel), his gorgeous fiancee Sunaina (Tina Desai) and their plans for yet another Anglo-Indian retirement home. It also shows the bumpy ride they have toward their wedding. I don't think I will spoil it for you by saying that the film ends with a wonderful wedding dance, Bollywood style.


The best thing about this film is of course the fab British cast. How can a movie with these amazingly talented actors be anything less than delightful? Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton...it just goes on and on! Director John Madden returns as well (Shakespeare in Love) to steer the ship.


I am afraid to say the worst thing about The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was Richard Gere. I don't know if it was the juxtaposition with the talent above, but his acting seemed very second rate. When he was attempting to woo Sonny's mother, I didn't believe a word he said! Am I being too hard on him? Did anyone else like him in this????


So the bottom line is to just go and see this. Enjoy the wonderful costumes, scenery and the not too heavy story line. It is just the kind of date film my husband and I enjoy and I'm sure you will too!

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. MAGGIE SMITH.
    JUDI DENCH.
    PENELOPE WILSON.

    Yup. Want to see this. Actually, it doesn't quite look like my cup of tea, but Maggie Smith is a big temptation. :-)

    I wanted to say, your blog is great. I remember as a little girl I was fascinated by this place on the internet and went back and read and reread all your posts over and over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this yesterday at our local cinema and enjoyed it (who wouldn't, with that cast?) but not quite as much as First Marigold. But you are right about Gere, he was absurdly miscast. Nothing against Gere as an actor (well, not much!) but he was in the wrong movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the miscasting of Gere. I have always thought he was over rated as an actor. I didn't buy his character one bit. But the rest of the movie...golden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really looking forward to this movie--I enjoyed the first one (watched it on a plane ride, and really ate up the time well!). I can see how Richard Gere would seem out of place in this movie--I wonder who the better choice would have been, especially since Bill Nighy was already in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails