Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel, in model miniature

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a wonderful Wes Anderson film. If you are a fan of Wes Anderson then you likely already have this on your radar to see soon, if you haven't already. If you don't know Wes Anderson, well, how do I describe him to you?

Wes Anderson in his director's chair

A creative worldly dynamo from Texas, he loves to create entire worlds for his films, being the writer, director and producer for most of them, TGBH included. I think Moonrise Kingdom is still my fave film of his but this one is a very close second. Stylistic, funny and dark...you will not be bored during one of his films!

Gustave H and lobby boy Zero

Ralph Fiennes lives it up as a very hammy concierge (Gustave H.) of a fictional hotel between the wars in a fictional Eastern European country with his sidekick Zero Moustafa (played by brilliant newcomer Tony Revolori).


Told as a story within a story, we hear the tale through a dinner conversation between the now grown lobby boy (F.Murray Abraham as the adult Zero) and a guest at the now run down hotel (Jude Law as "Young Writer").


It would seem Anderson has no problem enticing big name stars who love offbeat films. Saoirse Ronan as Zero's love interest and Tilda Swinton as one of Gustave H's elderly female guests are just a few of the names you may recognize. Bill Murray, Adrien Brody, Edward Norton, Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe...the list goes on and on!

So I will end with the official trailer and let you decide if it is something you want to see. Personally, I am still smiling! The Squire just looked over my shoulder as I played the trailer and said "That film was entertaining but different." I will leave it at that. :)


14 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad to read this! I have never seen a Wes Anderson film (I don't get out much!) and this is coming to our little local village cinema. It looks intriguing, thanks for posting the trailer. I will definitely go to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith. I think if you like this one, you will want to seek out some of his other films. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see this myself. Sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. I think you will like it. I want to see it again already!

      Delete
  3. Love Period Movies. The movie looks interesting. I hope all the known actors don't overshadow. Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the trailer then you will enjoy it. See Naomi's comment below! :)
      And the known actors seem to blend well. Most are just quick cameos, but I didn't find it off putting.

      Delete
  4. I loved Moonrise Kingdom. Can't wait to watch this.

    Hi, I'm Tanzee from Bangladesh. I found your blog a few weeks ago and love it. Thanks for the amazing reviews and suggestions.

    Anyway, have you watched 'The Painted Veil' starring Edward Norton and Naomi Watts? It was absolutely lovely to see an action-thriller dude like Norton play with such emotion in a period piece. I would be absolutely delighted if you write a review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanzee! If you loved Moonrise Kingdom you will love this one too.
      I missed The Painted Veil but it looks fab. I will have to track it down. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. I watched the trailer and it looks so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi. I probably just saved you the price of a ticket. Lol! I think this is a love it or hate it film.

      Delete
  6. Loved Moonrise Kingdom, and this one too. Thanks for the recommendation Jenny :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails