Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hugh Laurie- Actor of the Week

Hugh Laurie with those baby blue eyes

I will watch just about anything with Hugh Laurie. I eventually lost interest in House, but I watched him diagnose and misdiagnose many patients before that point, often marveling at his impeccable American accent. It is very difficult for a Brit to do, as demonstrated by Emma Thompson playing a Hilary Clinton type in Primary Colors. Let's just say that Emma's accent wasn't good, but the film was. In any case, lots to admire about Hugh Laurie's career. From a guy who could be considered an Oxbridge toff, he seems very down to earth and oozes talent. Comedy, music, drama...you need it, Hugh has got it!


Hugh Laurie being presented the Perrier Comedy award by Rowan Atkinson. Emma Thompson and Stephen Fry look on.

Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson are still friends, even after dating briefly while at Cambridge together. Most importantly, they collaborated with Stephen Fry and a few other talented Brits to take the Cambridge Footlights Revue to the Edinburgh Festival and won the first Perrier Comedy Award there.

Here are a few of my fave Hugh Laurie roles, and most of them could be considered Period Pieces!


Hugh Laurie as The Prince Regent in Black Adder the Third

Prince George: What can I do to a woman that I can't do to you?
Blackadder: I cannot conceive, sir.

Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves and Wooster

Jeeves: Travel is highly educational, Sir.
Bertie: I cannot do with any more education, Jeeves. I was full up years ago!

Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer from Sense and Sensibility

Charlotte Palmer: Oh, if only this rain would stop!
Mr. Palmer: If only you would stop.

Hugh Laurie and Mark Williams stealing 101 Dalmatians (House and Mr. Weasley!)

Horace: You know, this house is creepy, I'm starvin' hungry, and so far we haven't been paid one bloody quid!
Jasper: Oh, WILL you stop MOANING?


Hugh Laurie in Stuart Little with Geena Davis and Jonathan Lipnicki

George Little: Maybe we should go home.
Mr. Little: Why?
George Little: I'm not wearing my lucky underwear.
Mr. Little: You don't have lucky underwear.
George Little: Well, maybe we should get some, and then come back for another race.

Hugh Laurie in The Young Visiters with Jim Broadbent and Lyndsey Marshal

Lord Bernard Clark: Oh, tell me you love me also, Ethel!
Ethel Monticue: I do love you also, Bernard. I love you madly. I love you with passion. You are to me like a heathen god, with your manly form and your handsome, flashing face.

**********************************************************************************

I loved his character in Spooks (MI5), Jools Siviter, and I wish I had seen him as Vincente Minelli in Life with Judy Garland: Me and My ShadowsDid anyone see him in that one? I love Judy Davis and I'm sure she did a great job of playing Judy Garland. He was in Spice World too, but we won't hold that against him!

So have I missed your favourite Hugh Laurie role? Are you a closet Hugh fan too? I love that Emma Thompson had to have him in Sense and Sensibility. He took Mr. Palmer from ridiculous to wonderfully compassionate with aplomb. Lovely! May have to pop in Sense and Sensibility now, as I have been quoting it all day.... 

Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken


from Shakespeare's Sonnet 116

13 comments:

  1. He is very diversified. I didn't even realize half the time it was him. I'm normally not a huge fan. I hated "House".

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is truly versatile. If you have never seen Jeeves and Wooster, that may be my favourite role of his. And he plays the piano beautifully.

    I understand about House. I used to watch it with my teen boys as they liked it. I thought his acting was great but I wondered if he got irritable after playing such a grouch. The opposite of the ever chipper Bertie Wooster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised at all the none grouchy roles Hugh Laurie has played since I only know him as House and Mr. Palmer. You've got me positively mad to see The Young Visitors.

    Is the rumor true that he will be the new Henry Higgins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I can see that. I think I heard that rumor too. I took my granddaughter to see "My fair lady" on stage in seattle and we both loved it. I don't think our movie is worn out yet, but it's a wonder why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jane and Suzan- If My Fair Lady has to be re-made, who better to write it than Emma Thompson and who better to play Henry Higgins than Hugh Laurie? However, I don't know why she doesn't do Pygmalion instead. She has had a lot of criticism for tampering with MFL but no one would complain if she did Pygmalion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God for YouTube! I had no idea that Hugh Laurie was such a talented musician - playing blues piano and singing, for example - but you put in "Hugh Laurie Music" into the search line on YouTube, and lots of stuff comes up! An amazing man, and I look forward to see what he's up to next. I'd like to see him as Henry Higgins, but I certainly do agree with you about the Pygmalion vs. My Fair Lady thing ... although doing the musical version WILL give Hugh a chance to show off his musical talents.
    Cheers!
    Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would be excellent as the duke of Andover in these old shades

    ReplyDelete
  8. The world needs a whole lot more of Hugh Laurie than we're currently getting. There's so much he can do. I wish they'd just revive A Bit of Fry & Laurie if nothing else...maybe call it a A Bit More of Fry & Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails