Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Emma 1996

Emma
I will give a nod to the other Emma versions here, as there are many fans who adore them.  First, the 1996 Gwyneth Paltrow version.  This is beautifully filmed in true Hollywood style.  The costumes are to die for and Paltrow does a good Emma, although I wouldn’t really want to be her friend.  And I must say that Jeremy Northam’s Mr. Knightly is sooooo sexy. Mmmmmmmmmmm.........  
Harriet Smith’s character occasionally gets lost in Toni Collette’s high comedy, although my sister will kill me for this as she loves her version of Harriet.  And Allen Cummings is at his best in the carriage proposal scene.  Bravo. Sophie Thompson’s Miss Bates is also basically perfection.  And my sister also likes to point out that you would be hard pressed to find a better Augusta Elton than Juliet Stephenson.  Agreed. Still, the main character of Emma is in my humble opinion better played by Romola than by Gwenyth but I do still love this much shorter version.  “Try not to kill my dogs.”  Yes,  this one has a permanent spot on my shelf.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley. I felt this adaptation was heavy on the comedic moments, a perfect fit for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails